A great home fix to clean silver which works better than anything you would buy:
You will need:
- An aluminum pan (like the disposable ones you buy to bake a cake or pie)
- Hot Water (must be boiling hot)
- Box of Baking Soda
Follow these simple steps:
- Place your silver jewelry on the aluminum pan first. Spread the pieces out so each piece of jewelry is touching the aluminum pan and so that it is not too crowded.
- Boil water in kettle, when it reaches boil, pour the boiling water into the aluminum pan so that the jewelry is completed covered by the water.
- Last, sprinkle in the baking soda into the water. The water will start fizzling and sizzling and steam will come out that smells like rotten eggs. The steam is partly composed of the sulfur (which creates the tarnish). Stir the water a little to make sure all the baking soda dissolves.
- After the fizzling stops, you can pour the water out and rinse everything with cold water to wash off the baking soda. Most of the jewelry will look like new! If some are still tarnished, just repeat the process again.
Watch as Tina Tang demonstrates this great silver cleaning method!
Or, if you want to do some light surface cleaning, use a silver polishing cloth.
Freshwater pearls lose their luster when in constant contact with sweat. To preserve the luster, rinse pearls with cool water and dry off with a soft cloth.
Be gentle with your jewels! Treat them like children.
Iron Strong Jewelry Repairs:
We will repair your items FREE of CHARGE for your first 3 months of ownership. Please CALL 212-645-6890 for an RA number prior to shipping the repair. Please send wrapped/insured with US $7.15 (for USPS Priority Mail Small Box Flat Rate) US $35 (for overseas addresses, USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate) to:
Iron Strong Jewelry
150 Newark Ave Suite 2R
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Don't forget to enclose your return address!